Sarajevo Tobacco Factory was founded in 1880. Just two years after the occupation of Bosnia and Herzegovina by the Austro-Hungarian Empire and is one of the first four industrial companies in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Having spent 80 years factory was located at Mary's house, the modern city center. Plant your life began in modest spaces, which were initially consisted of two buildings, production and administration. Already in the coming decades, with the conquest and the expansion of production, and expanding industrial complex. The final layout obtained 1891st , when being built and the last of 10 buildings, as had the factory until the mid-fifties of the twentieth century. In parallel with the expansion of the complex increases the number of employees, who in the early years was comprised of mostly female and unskilled labor.
The first products of the Sarajevo Tobacco Factory pack were cut tobacco, which were first manufactured by hand, the so-called. Avan. Tobacco, which was used for this purpose was a different kind. Packages of shredded tobacco, have also been varied. But in the Austro-Hungarian period, this product Sarajevo Tobacco Factory is exported.
With the production of cigarettes began in the late 1882nd year. All until 1905. The cigarettes were made in a factory hand, when he purchased the first automatic machine for making cigarettes. By the beginning of World War II from the Sarajevo Tobacco Factory on the market have come up 23 types of cigarettes. Packaged in boxes of wood, metal, cardboard. Package is numbered at least five, and the largest one hundred cigarettes.
Between the two World Wars factory is considerably stagnated, especially in terms of equipment, although in this period, production increased, thanks to the rise of cheap labor. And in this period continued the production and packaging of cut tobacco, and several types of oval and round a cigarette. Packages of cigarettes ranged up to 100 or 500 pieces. Shortly before World War II decreases the production of cut tobacco, because his demand is getting lower. At that time, and production of cigarettes in the factory varies from year to year. During World War II FDS did not stop working, but her work was dictated by the invaders.
The factory is in the course of its existence, which lasts more than a century, suffered the consequences of the change of government and different socio-political systems, but never ceased to work and production. Creating a persistent and defined its reputation with consumers and business partners, the Sarajevo Tobacco Factory has won the market in Bosnia and Herzegovina, but also far beyond its borders, to Egypt, Russia, Turkey, China, Japan ...
The need for expansion and modernization of existing factory facilities, the influence of the mid-fifties of the twentieth century, the decision to build a new factory, which is finally realized 1960th , when the factory moved to newly built facilities in Pofalici. Area of newly constructed buildings at the time of transfer was approximately 40,000 m². The complex consisted of multiple, purpose-built facilities. Its final form complex Pofalici got 1971st year, when he completed the construction of buildings Tobacco Factory and drive. Building a factory complex in Pofalici are fully funded by employees of the factory, which represents a kind of precedent in time and space in which this happened.
Self-reliance as one of the most important determinant of Sarajevo Tobacco Factory, the mirror is constantly stimulating, innovative work, in which their participation made a number of employees, in the period since 1946. When it constructed its own forces and created the first machine (the machine for cutting cardboard boxes for packaging), so until the mid-sixties. Newly constructed machines whose creators are preliminary and the final Realizers were people from the factory, there were my application, not only in factory operations in Sarajevo but were sold to other companies around the ex-Yugoslav space. The Tobacco Factory Sarajevo were formed, among others, machinery and Glibert, Glibert II, III and IV and V. Finally Glibert
In addition to the once very important practical value, they still have the primary importance of the museum, because it clearly shows in what way did the technological process in the factory.